May 2, 2017, New NIH Approach to Grant Funding Aimed at Optimizing Stewardship of Taxpayer Dollars
Today we want to put forward a new approach to making sure that we are exercising optimum stewardship of the funds that we receive from taxpayers. We will be discussing this approach with our Advisory Councils over the next few weeks, and so we wanted to provide this broad public description.
BGA Executive Committee has co-signed the following NDD (non-defense discretionary) and FABBS open letters. These letters express concerns on scientific budget costs, and the impact that the recent Executive Order on Immigration in the US will have on science and scientific progress including research, training, innovation.
For all researchers that work with human subjects from the USA (also in the context of consortia):The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and fifteen other Federal Departments and Agencies have announced revisions to modernize, strengthen, and make more effective the Federal Policy for the Protection of Human Subjects that was originally promulgated as a Common Rule in 1991.
The 47th Behavior Genetics Annual Meeting was held in Oslo, Norway, from June 28th to July 1st, 2017.
The Opening Reception was in the beautiful Oslo City Hall, with a warm word of welcome from the Mayor of Oslo, Marianne Borgen.
During the banquet the following BGA members were awarded! Congratulations to:
- Rowe: Laurence Tanguay-Garneau
- Thompson: Emily Smith-Woolley
- Fuller-Scott: Karen Verweij
- Fulker: Jenae Neiderhiser and Valerie Knopik
- Dobzhansky: William G (Bill) Iacono
And we thank the following members who donated for travel bursaries: Anna Docherty and Michael Stallings.
Congratulations to the following people who were awarded at the BGA 2016 meeting!
- Rowe Award: Milana Smolkina
- Thompson Award: Robert Maier
- Fuller-Scott Award: Sara Hart
- Fulker Award: Daniel Briley
- Dobzhansky Award: Jaakko Kaprio
- Shields Award: John Hewitt
Want to become a behavioral geneticist? Look here for opportunities!
Follow this link to find some nice pictures of this year’s annual BGA meeting in San Diego, and previous ones in Marseille, Edinburgh and Newport!
Congratulations to the following people who were awarded at the BGA 2015 meeting!
- Rowe Award: Megan Flom
- Thompson Award: Baptiste Couvy-Duchesne
- Fuller-Scott Award: Paige Harden and Elliott Tucker-Drobb
- Fulker Award: Lindon Eaves
- Dobzhansky Award: Hill Goldsmith
- FABBS Early Career Award: Brian d’Onofrio
- Shields Award: Juko Ando