2020: The 50th Behavior Genetics Association Meeting
Los Angeles, California, USA
Wednesday June 24 – Saturday June 27
Local hosts: Daniel Benjamin, David Cesarini and Patrick Turley
USC Hotel, 540 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90007
Please visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wizard.html for the most current details on Visa entry requirements for the United States.
CONFERENCE OVERVIEW (detailed schedule will be posted when available):
Wednesday June 24: Opening reception, 6–8pm, USC Hotel
Thursday June 25: Scientific sessions, all day, USC Hotel
Friday June 26: Scientific sessions, all day, USC Hotel
Saturday June 27: Scientific sessions until 4pm, USC Hotel
Closing banquet, 6:30–10:30pm, Natural History Museum 900 Exposition Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90007
CONFERENCE REGISTRATION is now open! Registration rates are listed below. To register, click here.
Please click this link to submit your abstract via our Ex Ordo system. Abstracts are due March 31.
Student Travel Awards:
The Behavior Genetics Association also invites applications for Associate Member Travel Fellowships. Awards will be based on perceived need and scholarly merit. The number of fellowships awarded and amount of each award will be determined by the Program Chair (President-Elect). Please note that no geographical constraints apply to eligibility for the awards. To be eligible for a fellowship, applicants must:
1) Be an associate member of BGA or be in the process of applying for membership (i.e., an application for associate membership must be submitted on or before March 28, 2020). NOTE: Travel awards are intended to support predoctoral associate members. In rare instances (e.g. recent graduation), a postdoctoral applicant may be considered, however, in general, postdoctoral members are encouraged to apply for regular membership upon graduation.
2) Submit an abstract via Ex Ordo by March 31, 2020.
3) Agree to attend substantially all of the BGA meeting if funds are awarded.
4) Submit a C.V. and include a copy of the abstract with the application materials.
5) Submit a letter of endorsement from the associate member’s adviser/sponsor which addresses (a) the applicant’s orientation toward a career that incorporates behavioral genetics; (b) the applicant’s financial need for the award; and (c) how residual costs of attending the conference will be covered. Endorsement letter may be included with the other materials or emailed separately by the adviser/sponsor.
6) Present a poster or oral paper (as first author) at the meeting.
All applicants should send a copy of the abstract, along with a C.V. and letter of endorsement from a sponsor to the Program Chair, Greg Carey (email@example.com) by March 31, 2020. Applicants will be notified of their award status by April 15, 2020.
CONFERENCE and LODGING
540 S Figueroa St
Los Angeles, CA 90007
Group Name: “Behavior Genetics Association (BGA 2020) Group”
Room Rate cutoff date: Sunday, May 31, 2020
Click here to book your room.
Located on the University of Southern California’s main campus and just minutes away from many of LA’s top attractions, the USC hotel offers an unrivaled destination for culture, academia and entertainment.
With 240 guest rooms the USC Hotel offers a variety of room types to fit every type of traveler and their specific needs. Compliments of the House of Troy, each of our 240 guest rooms is equipped with:
- High-Speed Wireless Internet
- Premium Eco-Friendly Hair and Skincare Products
- Bottled Water
- Mini Refrigerator
- Coffee and Tea Maker
- Business Center, Fitness Center and Pool Access
$57.00 per person per night +14% LA City Bed Tax – double occupancy per room; sharing a multi-room apartment (1B2P/2B4P)
$67.00 per person per night +14% LA City Bed Tax – single occupancy per room; sharing a multi-room apartment (2B2P)
$72.00 per person per night +14% LA City Bed Tax – single occupancy in a one bedroom apartment (1B1P) (limited inventory)The USC Cardinal Gardens are a 7 minute walk from the USC Hotel (where the conference is being held). We recommend that conference attendees do not walk alone from the hotel to the USC Cardinal Gardens after dark. Space is limited and we do not have a hold on these rooms so if you would like to take advantage of this lodging option we recommend booking soon.
Transportation from LAX to USC Hotel
Instructions for getting an Uber, Lyft, or Taxi from LAX
Los Angeles International Airport is 12.6 miles from the USC Hotel.
A Taxi will cost roughly $55.
Greenline Shuttle -> Metro Green Line -> 550
From the LAX to USC Hotel
105-E from S Sepulveda -> Take I-110 N to S Hope St. Take exit 20B from I-110 N-> Take W Exposition Blvd to S Figueroa St.
Link to driving directions
THINGS TO DO IN LOS ANGELES
In addition to being the entertainment capital of the world, Los Angeles is a cultural mecca boasting world-class museums, gardens, beaches, amusement parks and other unique points of interest. If you have time during your stay to explore the city, below are some popular attractions that you might enjoy. Many of the attractions and sites are geared towards kids or great for the whole family.
- Museums: The Broad*, MOCA, LACMA, The Getty, California Science Center*, Natural History Museum*, La Brea Tar Pits & Museum, Petersen Automotive Museum
- Parks, Gardens and Zoos: Griffith Park and Observatory, The Huntington Botanical Gardens, L.A. Zoo
- Beaches: Malibu Beaches, Venice Beach & Boardwalk, Santa Monica Beach & Pier
- Hikes: Runyon Canyon Hikes, Hollywood Sign Hikes, Malibu Hikes, Temescal Canyon, Los Liones Trail
- Amusement Parks: Disneyland (in Anaheim), Universal Studios Hollywood, Lego Land (in San Diego)
- Other Points of Interest: Grand Central Market*, Arts District*, Korea Town*, Little Tokyo Japantown*, Studio Tours, Hollywood Walk of Fame
Please be aware that L.A. is big city and many of the above mentioned places are not in close proximity to where the conference is held. Please consider transportation needs. Options for getting around include Public Transportation, Uber, Lyft, and Rental Cars. Asterisks denote places that are relatively close (although mostly not walking distance) to where the conference is held. Due to traffic, we also recommend using Google Maps to check traffic and help plan your day!