2022 BGA Annual Meeting: Los Angeles, California, USA
Wednesday June 22 – Saturday June 25
Local hosts: Daniel Benjamin, David Cesarini and Patrick Turley
The BGA 2022 annual meeting will be in-person with limited virtual attendance options.
*** THE PROGRAM HAS BEEN SUBSTANTIONALLY UPDATED! PLEASE READ IT THROUGH CAREFULLY! *** Click here to open the Final Program for this conference. PLEASE NOTE: If you want a hard copy of this, you will need to print it yourself. There will not be hard copies at the conference.
Virtual attendance will be by non-interactive live stream, with ability to post questions via chat. The stream sessions will be recorded, posted to vimeo and made accessible via links. Our goal is to provide access within 48h. Access to the recorded videos and online posters will be sent out through your membership site and linked on this page.
Click here to view the virtual poster session. The password will be sent to those who registered by the start of the conference.
USC Hotel, 3540 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90007
Please visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wizard.html for the most current details on Visa entry requirements for the United States.
CONFERENCE OVERVIEW (detailed schedule will be posted when available):
Wednesday June 22: Welcome to New Attendees, 5:30-6pm PST, USC Hotel
Opening reception, 6–8pm PST, USC Hotel
Thursday June 23: Scientific sessions, all day, USC Hotel
Friday June 24: Scientific sessions, all day, USC Hotel
Saturday June 25: Scientific sessions until 4pm PST, USC Hotel
Closing banquet, 6:30–10:30pm PST, Natural History Museum 900 Exposition Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90007
CONFERENCE REGISTRATION Registration is open! Please follow this link. Rates for in-person and online attendance are below:
- Authors of posters should see this link for preparation of posters.
- All talks (except symposia) have 15 minutes, which includes Q&A. (See program.) Please plan to talk for about 10 minutes, leaving time for questions. Please see this link.
- Virtual presentations (posters AND talks) MUST be submitted by Friday, June 17th.
CONFERENCE and LODGING
3540 S Figueroa St
Los Angeles, CA 90007
Group Code: 2201DORBGA
Rate: $219/night – we have a limited number of rooms at this rate, so book soon!
Room Rate cutoff date: Sunday, May 23, 2022****
****The hotel has agreed to hold some more rooms for us at the discounted rate through end of day this Wednesday. You can email Yareli at USC directly to book those rooms. firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to book your room.
Located on the University of Southern California’s main campus and just minutes away from many of LA’s top attractions, the USC hotel offers an unrivaled destination for culture, academia and entertainment.
With 240 guest rooms the USC Hotel offers a variety of room types to fit every type of traveler and their specific needs. Compliments of the House of Troy, each of our 240 guest rooms is equipped with:
- High-Speed Wireless Internet
- Premium Eco-Friendly Hair and Skincare Products
- Bottled Water
- Mini Refrigerator
- Coffee and Tea Maker
- Business Center, Fitness Center and Pool Access
Alternative Guest Housing
Guest Housing is available at one of the apartment complexes at the village. Here are the rates:
$61.00 per person per night +14% LA City Bed Tax = $69.54 – double occupancy per room; sharing a multi-room apartment (1B2P/2B4P)
$71.00 per person per night +14% LA City Bed Tax = $80.94 – single occupancy per room; sharing a multi-room apartment (2B2P)
Parking: $14.00 per day or prevailing rate at time of purchase.
Reservation/Payment Process: Here is the link for guests to sign up for housing at the USC Village. To put in a reservation, a $5.00 registration fee is required. After payment, an email from email@example.com will be sent on whether there is availability based on the requested reservation dates. If confirmed, the guest will then proceed to complete payment (due 1 week before arrival date or else the reservation will be cancelled automatically). If there is no availability, the registration fee will be refunded.
We also have an extension on the apartment style housing. Those rooms will also be available to us through end of day Wednesday. Those should be booked through the link on the BGA website.
Cancellation Policy: If you cancel your reservation more than 5 business days prior to your arrival, you will be fully refunded for your housing payment except for the registration fee (non-refundable). If you cancel less than 5 business days prior to your arrival, you will be charged 1 night room and tax.
COVID-19 RELATED TRAVEL INFORMATION
The BGA/conference will not be responsible for costs associated with testing, medical treatment, travel rescheduling, extra accommodation etc.
The following information will continue to be updated as protocols evolve. The last update to this information was 6/7/2022.
Transportation from LAX to USC Hotel
TRANSPORTATION from LAX to USC Hotel
Please read about your transportation options here before arriving at LAX.
Face coverings are now required while in LAX and in all forms of ground transportation.
Instructions for getting an Uber, Lyft, or Taxi from the LAX
· To get an Uber, Lyft, or Taxi, you must get to the LAX-it Lot, located next to Terminal 1.
· When you exit your terminal on the ground level (baggage claim level) you can either walk to the LAX-it lot or ride the free LAX-it shuttle, which can be picked up on Lower/Arrivals Level at the inner curb outside of baggage claim areas at the green LAX-it signs.
· If you arrive at Terminal 1 or Terminal 2, it is fastest to walk to the LAX-it lot. Otherwise, we recommend taking the shuttle.
· Once on your way to the LAX-it lot, use your app to schedule your ride. · More details about how to get to LAX-it for your Uber, Lyft or Taxi can be found here.
Taxis (but not Ubers or Lyfts) can also be picked up at two additional locations:
1. Inside Parking Structure 3 between Tom Bradley International Terminal (Terminal B) and Terminal 3 – for those passengers arriving at those two terminals
2. At the far end of Terminal 7 outside of baggage claim – for passengers arriving at Terminals 7 and 8
Los Angeles International Airport is 12.6 miles from the USC Hotel.
A taxi will likely cost $55 or more, depending on the time of day.
Hiring a private car service allows you to be picked up directly at your terminal. There are many car services that service LAX. Local hosts use https://www.laxcarservice.net/.
Using LA Metro trains or public transit buses to get from LAX to the USC Hotel is not recommended as there is no simple or direct route, but if you would like to use public transit, route options can be found here.
From the LAX to USC Hotel
105-E from S Sepulveda -> Take I-110 N to S Hope St. Take exit 20B from I-110 N-> Take W Exposition Blvd to S Figueroa St. Link to driving directions
THINGS TO DO IN LOS ANGELES
In addition to being the entertainment capital of the world, Los Angeles is a cultural mecca boasting world-class museums, gardens, beaches, amusement parks and other unique points of interest. If you have time during your stay to explore the city, below are some popular attractions that you might enjoy. Many of the attractions and sites are geared towards kids or great for the whole family.
- Museums: The Broad*, MOCA, LACMA, The Getty, California Science Center*, Natural History Museum*, La Brea Tar Pits & Museum, Petersen Automotive Museum
- Parks, Gardens and Zoos: Griffith Park and Observatory, The Huntington Botanical Gardens, L.A. Zoo
- Beaches: Malibu Beaches, Venice Beach & Boardwalk, Santa Monica Beach & Pier
- Hikes: Runyon Canyon Hikes, Hollywood Sign Hikes, Malibu Hikes, Temescal Canyon, Los Liones Trail
- Amusement Parks: Disneyland (in Anaheim), Universal Studios Hollywood, Lego Land (in San Diego)
- Other Points of Interest: Grand Central Market*, Arts District*, Korea Town*, Little Tokyo Japantown*, Studio Tours, Hollywood Walk of Fame
Follow these links for Restaurants Located within the Downtown / LA Metro Area, and more resources for things to do or places to stay.
Please be aware that L.A. is big city and many of the above mentioned places are not in close proximity to where the conference is held. Please consider transportation needs. Options for getting around include Public Transportation, Uber, Lyft, and Rental Cars. Asterisks denote places that are relatively close (although mostly not walking distance) to where the conference is held. Due to traffic, we also recommend using Google Maps to check traffic and help plan your day!