1) SSGAC Summer School ‘Introduction in Genome-Wide Data Analysis’, July 17-21, 2017, Amsterdam, The NetherlandsAfter last year’s success, the Social Science Genetic Association Consortium (SSGAC) and the Tinbergen Institute again jointly organize an exciting, interdisciplinary summer school on genome-wide data analysis. The goal of the summer school is to introduce researchers from various fields to key concepts, state-of-the-art methods, and computer tools in statistical genetics. The course will be highly quantitative and interactive, covering topics such as the estimation and interpretation of heritability using molecular genetic data, genetic association studies, polygenic prediction, and identification strategies to isolate causal effects using genetic insights. It will emphasize methodological issues such as appropriate study design, data integrity, multiple testing, detecting and controlling for potential confounds, as well as factors influencing the accuracy of polygenic scores.
Taught by leading experts in the field, the summer school welcomes researchers from all disciplines that may benefit from using the vast amounts of human genetic data that have recently become available (e.g. behavioral genetics, medicine, economics, sociology, political sciences, psychology).
The lectures will attempt to “bridge” specific knowledge gaps that participants from different backgrounds may have. Specifically, social scientists will get a short, formal introduction to genetics, while students from medicine or genetics will benefit from the formal treatment of statistical methods and the discussion of how investigating the genetics of social scientific outcomes may lead to medically relevant insights.
A formal background in statistics or econometrics is required at the level of a first year course in a graduate school PhD program in economics, psychology, or epidemiology, but no formal background in genetics will be assumed.
- Application deadlines is 1 June 2017.
- The course fee is € 1.450 euro per participant.
- PhD and master program students are eligible for a € 500 tuition fee discount.
- Tinbergen Institute can assist you to find suitable housing in the wonderful, bustling city of Amsterdam
For more information on our course and on how to apply, see: http://www.tinbergen.nl/tinbergen-institute-summer-school/genome-wide-data-analysis/
2) VU Amsterdam Summer Course: BIG DATA MANAGEMENT AND ANALYSIS IN UNIX – An introduction to the UNIX command line environment
The VU Amsterdam Summer School 2017 is open for application! First time this year, we are offering “Big Data Management and Analysis in UNIX”, an interdisciplinary course that introduces you to the UNIX command line environment.
With the growing availability of extremely large datasets, scientists and analysts need to use powerful supercomputers or computer clusters to store, manage and analyze their data. These servers typically run on UNIX, which requires some programming skills and understanding of relevant software packages. In this course, you will learn how to manage large datasets using text processing utilities, the basics of shell scripting, which you can use to automate analyzing your data (for example, using a UNIX version of the freely available statistics program R), and get familiarized with version control. You will also learn how to present your data and results in customized plots and figures.
VU Amsterdam Summer School has been credited by its students with an average score of 8.5 out of 10. We offer a stimulating cultural environment providing a meaningful and lasting experience in Amsterdam, a true metropolis bustling with student life. Various housing options (both on and off campus) are available to all students. A social program is also available if you wish to explore more outside of the course. Be aware:
- Early Bird Discount of €150 available if you apply and pay before 15 March 2017
- Students of our partner universities receive a discount of €250
- Follow 2 courses: €100 discount, follow 3 courses: €200 discount
- 10 scholarships available that cover the full tuition fee of one course
For more information on our course and on how to apply, see: http://bachelors.vu.amsterdam/en/summer-school/courses/BigDatainUNIX/index.aspx
For more information on the VU Amsterdam Summer School, see: http://bachelors.vu.amsterdam/en/summer-school/index.aspx