The Departments of Medical Genetics and Psychiatry at the University of Alberta has an opening for a Post-Doctoral Fellow in the area of Psychiatric Genetics, specifically involving genetic and genomic studies in psychiatry. The successful candidate will possess a relevant doctoral degree (in Psychiatric Genetics/Genomics or equivalent) with training in statistical genetics. Experience in genome-wide association analysis as applied to addictions and mental health with relevant techniques such as admixture analysis and running linear mixed models using GCTA or SAIGE with a covariance matrix is essential. A strong track record of refereed journal publications is desired and helpful for securing awards. A high standard of communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills with creative problem-solving and dedication to tasks are required. See here for more details.
The successful candidate will be responsible for meeting research objectives as outlined in specific research proposals. This includes:
- conducting phenotypic and genotypic quality control
- liaising with collaborators as required
- running genome-wide association analysis of sexual addiction and related phenotypes
- conducting gene-environment interaction analyses in sexual addiction and related phenotypes and/or acting as a resource to assist graduate students with their running of these
- drafting of manuscripts for publication and material for presentation
- drafting material for reports to research funders
- being a good citizen of the team and the wider community
- assisting with drafting research grant applications
- assisting with supervision of other team members, such as research assistants and summer students
- contributing to team activities such as presenting at Journal Clubs
- other related duties as required
Candidates should submit a cover letter including research interests, complete CV including a summary of graduate thesis research and post-doctoral research, transcripts, and the names and contact information (address, phone number and email address of three referees) by email to:
Dr. Katherine J Aitchison
Tel: 780 492-4018 (+1 if outside Canada)
Closing date: Position open until filled.
The stipend for this position will be at least $40,000 per annum, commensurate with the skills and experience of the successful candidate. This position is available immediately and the appointment is for one year renewable, with the candidate being encouraged to apply for a relevant award at earliest opportunity.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Alberta offers appointments on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and Aboriginal persons.